Finasteride and WDs?

Post your wet dream experiences and questions here.
hsmith
Number of wet dreams youʹve experienced: 5
Foreskin status: Intact
Underwear worn when going to sleep: Boxer-briefs
If you've had a wet dream before, when did it occur after falling asleep?: 2-4 hours

Finasteride and WDs?

Post by hsmith »

Hi all,

There is a drug called finasteride which can be prescribed to slow hair loss due to male pattern baldness. It works by reducing levels of dihydro-testosterone (DHT), which is the hormone that triggers hair loss in this case.

Supposedly there can be a link to reduced sexual drive - and I'm wondering if this might cause an increase in WDs!

I've been taking it for about 6 months or so and haven't seen any noticeable changes, though to be fair it's hard to know sometimes what would count!

Wondering if anyone has any experience of using finasteride themselves or knows someone who has - and if this had any impact on WD frequency or horniness etc? Or just anything else I should be looking out for as I take it. Thanks! :)
Texanguy
Number of wet dreams youʹve experienced: 30
Foreskin status: Circumcised
Underwear worn when going to sleep: Nude
If you've had a wet dream before, when did it occur after falling asleep?: 2-4 hours
Date of last voluntary orgasm/ejaculation: 15 Aug 2020

Re: Finasteride and WDs?

Post by Texanguy »

The best thing to do is search online for information about finasteride and its effects and side effects.

It appears that one side effect of the reduced DHT caused by taking finasteride is a lowered sex drive. Since WDs start at puberty and often ocur at a higher rate with higher testosterone levels (and thus higher DHT levels), taking finasteride would almost certainly reduce the liklihood and frequency of WDs.
aze
Number of wet dreams youʹve experienced: 2
Foreskin status: Circumcised
If you've had a wet dream before, when did it occur after falling asleep?: 6+ hours

Post by aze »

After googling I knew something wasn’t right when I read that it decreases DHT (digydrogotestosterone) production.

It sounds like this might actually affect sperm production. Decrease of sex drive and lowering sperm production are both effects of the hormone changes.

Of course I’m not a doctor and these effects don’t apply to everyone, but this is just the information I can find quickly.
hsmith
Underwear worn when going to sleep: Boxer-briefs

Post by hsmith »

Thanks Aze and Texanguy - Thankfully I can report that my sex drive is still going strong! Though I do think it takes me longer to build up a strong horniness level. This is why I thought the Finasteride might actually make it easier to abstain and trigger a WD - as I'm less likely to relapse and MB in early stages, and then ongoing. Hopefully there's some logic in that! :)

Unfortunately no WDs to report as yet!
i89rt5
WDF Veteran
WDF Veteran
Number of wet dreams youʹve experienced: 10

Post by i89rt5 »

some guys have reported that finasteride increases WD

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comm ... et_dreams/
i89rt5
WDF Veteran
WDF Veteran
Number of wet dreams youʹve experienced: 10

Post by i89rt5 »

Go to this sub reddit where folks discuss about using finasteride along with other means to treat hair loss

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/

Search "wet dream" on the above sub reddit, you will find many interesting reports that finasteride triggers WD
tacticaldreamer
WDF Veteran
WDF Veteran
Number of wet dreams youʹve experienced: 30
Underwear worn when going to sleep: Boxers
Date of last voluntary orgasm/ejaculation: 25 Mar 2024

Post by tacticaldreamer »

"Ideal candidates for treatment are men under the age of 30 whose hair loss has not lasted more than 5 years. The effectiveness of finasteride treatment in older men diminishes as 5-α reductase activity gradually declines. After the age of 60, there is no point in prescribing the drug. 20-30% of men of any age do not respond to finasteride treatment. The effect of treatment on hair thickening can be expected only in 6 to 12 months. Therapy should last at least 5 years. After premature discontinuation, hair loss continues. Side effects of finasteride treatment include sexual dysfunction occurring in 4% of men. Finasteride reduces PSA (prostate-specific antigen) levels, which are a marker of prostate cancer."
Ryan11
Underwear worn when going to sleep: Boxers
If you've had a wet dream before, when did it occur after falling asleep?: 6+ hours

Post by Ryan11 »

Hi hsmith, you’ve probably seen my post in the new members thread. I’m on finasteride and my WDs do increase in frequency when I’m on it. It’s exactly like what’s reported in the Reddit thread i89rt5 posted above.

It’s not all fun and games as sometimes I do get temporary dips in libido - but some weeks when I’m on it I get random boners throughout the day, which can be embarrassing in work. It’s exactly like being a teenager and first starting puberty, when I used to get random boners in school all the time.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat about it!